Adverse Effect of Methane Gas on Environment and Its utilization for Economic Growth
- : Coal Mining, Green House Gas, Emission, Pollution, Explosion
Copyright (c) 2018 IJRDO - Journal of Business Management (ISSN: 2455-6661)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Coal is a major source of energy. It has stimulated India's industrialization and is being used to produce thermal electricity (around 70%) and in the manufacturing industries like textile, steel, chemicals, fertilizers, etc. The increased trend of coal production conjoined with venting of methane into the atmosphere is causing a serious concern about the environmental pollution, in as much, the methane has a global warming potential, 21 times greater than carbon dioxide on a molecule by molecule basis and 58 time by mass.Indian coal seams has a vast Coal Bed Methane (CBM) potential in various coalfields.Methane is a potent green house gas emissions released into atmosphere by mining activities. Thus creating a hazardous situation for fragile atmosphere and 0zone layer.Methane is associated with coal as a by product in the coal formation process. It is trapped in coal beds and released during and after mining. This methane does cause disasters in underground coal nines. To reduce its hazards of emission and explosion, mines are ventilated with large quantities of air to reduce its percentage in mine air to a safe limit This diluted methane is released into the atmosphere and contributes to global climate change. Technologies are now available to recover the trapped methane from coal beds and thus provide an additional clean source of energy while reducing both escape of methane to the atmosphere and the mining hazard.
2) Srivastava Kundu Monika, India’s methane emissions stable: study ,Business Line, , https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/profile/author/Monika-Kundu-Srivastava
3) Pandey J.K ,Methane mitigation in indian coal mining. Central Mining Research Institute, Dhanbad-INDIA, https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/c2eb/1d494ebc11d0bc36bf4559c01142b50f8d71.pdf
4)Methane: Your Environment, Your Health | National Library of Medicine
5)Statistics Related to Climate Change - India 2015 Government of India Ministry of Statistics and Programme implementation Central Statistics Office http://www.mospi.gov.in/sites/default/files/publication_reports/climateChangeStat2015.p
6) Gautam NN,Prospects of Coal Bed Methane Exploitation in 21st century in india, The Thrust
In Coal Industry in 21st Century,BCCL,Dhanbad,May 2003:66-77
7)Agarwal PC, CoalBelt Methane Recovery and Commercial Utilization Project, The Thrust
In Coal Industry in 21st Century, BCCL,Dhanbad,May 2003:180-183
8) ET Energy World, India’s Coal Bed Methane production jumped more than 44 percent to 565 MMSCM last fiscal, ET Energy world, https://energy.economictimes.indiatimes.com/