Toward Prevention of Pressure Ulcer: Method of Automatic Wrinkle Removal by Friction-less Soft Robot-arm
In this study, we present a method of automatically removing wrinkles by the extension of Soft Robot-arm, focusing on the wrinkles of clothes that lead to pressure ulcers for bedridden elderlies. The proposed pneumatic driven Robot-arm is flexible in structure, capable of entering the gap between the human body and the bed surface without friction. As a result of the experiment, we confirmed that it was possible to remove wrinkles by 30% in one operation and almost 100% in three operations by extending Robot-arm in the direction to elongate wrinkles. Also, the effect of changing body pressure distribution was confirmed. Since this method can be realized with safe and simple operation, even if the caregiver is absent, it can be expected to be applied for prevention of pressure ulcers of the elderly.
2) Ryan P.Crenshaw, Lars M Vistnes (1989) A decade of pressure sore research: 1977-1987. Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 26(1):63-74.
3) Binayak Roy, Arin Basmajian, H.Harry Asada (2005) Repositioning of a Rigid Body With a Flexible Sheet and Its Application to an Automated Rehabilitation Bed. IEEE Transactions on automation science and engineering,vol.12,No.3.
4) Lin Tan, Shouyuin Lu, Wei Zhang (2009) A Robotic Nursing Bed Design and Its Control System. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Roboitcs and Biomimetics. doi: 10.1109/ROBIO.2009.5420530.
5) Adams, R., White, B., & Beckett, C. (2010). The effects of massage therapy on pain management in the acute care setting. International Journal of Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork, Vol.3, No.1, 4-11.
6) D.Mishima, T.Aoki, S. Hirose (2003) Development of Pneumatically Controlled Expandable Arm for Search in the Environment with Tight Access. Proc. Int. Conf.on Field and Service Robotics, 315-320.
7) H.Tsukagoshi, Nobuyuki Arai, Ichiro Kiryu, and Ato Kitagawa (2011) Tip Growing Actuator with the Hose-shaped Structure Aiming for Inspection on Narrow Terrain. International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.4, 516-522.
8) Elliot W.Hawkes, Laura H.Blumenschein, Joseph.D.Greer, Allison.M.Okamura (2017) A soft robot that navigates its environment through growth. Sci.Robot. 2, eaan3028
9) Frank.G.Miskelly (2001) Assistive technology in elderly care. Age and Ageing, vol.30, No.6, 509-521
10) Fanny Airosa, Torkel Falkenberg, Gunnar Ohlen, Maria Arman (2016) Tactile Massage as Part of the Caring Act A Qualitative study in Short-Term Emergency Wards. Journal of Holistic Nursing , vol.34, Number.1, 13-23
11) Zena Moore, Seamus Cowman, Ronan M Conroy (2011) A randomized controlled clinical trial of repositioning using the 30°tilt for the precention of pressure ulcers. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 20(17-18):2633-44.
Copyright (c) 2019 IJRDO - Journal of Health Sciences and Nursing (ISSN: 2456-298X)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Author(s) and co-author(s) jointly and severally represent and warrant that the Article is original with the author(s) and does not infringe any copyright or violate any other right of any third parties, and that the Article has not been published elsewhere. Author(s) agree to the terms that the IJRDO Journal will have the full right to remove the published article on any misconduct found in the published article.