Histopathological pattern of gynaecological malignancies: National Health Laboratory (NHL), Sudan
Background: Gynaecological malignancies (GM) is a common cancer problem in both developing and developed countries .The burden of GM is more critical in developing countries, this is due to lack or deficient screening and late clinical presentation. The aim of this study is to study the histopathological pattern of GM in the NHL (National Health Laboratory) Sudan. Material &Methods: Clinical data, histopathological reports, stained tissue slides of patients diagnosed histologically as GM were revised from the archive of the department of histopathology and cytology at the NHL . Results: 372 patients diagnosed histologically as GM from 1st Jan 2009-31st Dec to the 1st Jan 2013 were studied. The commonest GM histological type was cervical malignancies, followed by ovarian, endometrial, vaginal, vulvar, choriocarcinoma and tubal cancer respectively .Conclusion: There is an urgent need for screening, early detection and prompt management for GM. Keywords: GM, NHL, histopathological pattern
1. Iyoke CA, Ugwu GO .Burden of gynaecological cancers in developing countries .World J Obstet Gynecol2013;2(1):1-7.
2. NnadiD ,SinghS ,AhmedY, SiddiqueS, BilalS .Histo-pathological features of genital tract malignancies as seen in a tertiary health centre in north-western Nigeria: A 10-years review. Ann Med Health Sci Res 2014;4(suppl 3):213-7.
3. Hamad HM. Cancer initiatives in Sudan: Annals Oncol 2006 Jun;17suppl 8 :viii32-viii36.
4. Saeed IE, Abuidris DA ,.Mohamed KEH , Mohammed SI . Cancer Registry in Sudan: A brief Overview ,the internet journal of epidemiology .2013 11(2)1-5 .
5. Saeed IE , Weng H Y , Mohamed HA & Mohammmed SI. Cancer incidence in Khartoum ,Sudan:First results from the Cancer Registry,2009-2010 . 2014 Cancer Med . 2014 Aug 3(4) :1075-1084 .
6. Mohammed ME ,Hassan AM ,Abdelhadi HA ,Elsadig MG ,Adam DM ,Elmamoun K et al. Burden and Pattern of cancer in Sudan, 2000-2006 ..British J Med & Med Res. 2014 ,4(5): 1231-1243
7. AbuidrisDA, Ibnoof RS ,ElsanousiME ,Eltayeb EA, ElGailli E M .Gynecological Malignancies Managed in The institute of Nuclear Medicine and Oncology ,Wadmadani –Sudan During 1999-2005. Gazira J of Health Sci 2008.4(1) 1-9.
8. Yakasai I A, UgwaEA ,Otubu J. Gynecological malignancies in Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital Kano: A 3year review .Niger J ClinPract 2013;1691):63-6.
9. Jamal S,Mamoon N ,Mushtaq S ,Luqman M, Mogal S:The pattern of gynaecological malignancies in 968 cases from Pakistan. Ann Saudi Med 2006;26(5)382-384.
10. Sarkar M, KonarH ,Raut D .Clinicopathological Features of Gynaecological Malignancies in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Eastern India: Importance of Strengthening Primary Health Care in Prevention and Early Detection. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev 2013. 14(6)3541-3547 .
11. Haseeb MA. An outline of the history of Medical Research Institutes in the Sudan .Sudan J paediat 2013;13(2):103-114.
12. EL Hassan AM, The history of medical research in Sudan http://megaslides.com/doc/3871/the-history-of-medical-research-in-sudan.
13. Awaelkarim KD ,Mohamadani AA &Barberis M . Role of pathology in sub-Saharan Africa : An example from Sudan. Patholo &lab Med Inter. 2010:2 49-51, www.dovopress.com .
14. Kumar, Abbas, Aster. Robbins &Cotran. Pathological Basis of Disease, 9thed , Elsevier ,2015,;2(22):1004.
15. Mills AE, Carter D,Greenson JK, et al .Sternberg’s Diagnostic Surgical pathology,5thed Lippincott,Williams&Wilkins,2010;2(54):2278.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Author(s) and co-author(s) jointly and severally represent and warrant that the Article is original with the author(s) and does not infringe any copyright or violate any other right of any third parties, and that the Article has not been published elsewhere. Author(s) agree to the terms that the IJRDO Journal will have the full right to remove the published article on any misconduct found in the published article.