Determinants of the Adoption of Computerized Accounting Information Systems and the Perceived Effect on Financial Performance – A Case of Palestinian Companies
- Computerized Accounting Information Systems,
- Perceived Financial Performance,
- Chief Executive Officer (CEOs),
- Companies, Palestine
Copyright (c) 2019 IJRDO - Journal of Business Management (ISSN: 2455-6661)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The Research aimed at investigating the adoption of computerized accounting information systems and its effect on the financial performance of companies (by increasing revenues and rationalizing expenses). To achieve the research objectives, the researcher designed a questionnaire based on the objectives and hypotheses of the study. The study population included all listed companies in Palestine. A total of 500 questionnaires was distributed to the CEOs of the companies and 495 were collected back and they were coded for the purposes of the analysis. The researcher used Analysis of Moment Structures (AMOS) and SPSS for data analysis and hypotheses testing. The findings of the study revealed that there is a significant relationship between the adoption of computerized accounting information systems (CAIS) and the perceived financial performance (PFP). Three independent variables - namely reliability of CAIS (RLB), efficiency of CAIS (EFC) and staff training (SFT) were also found to have significant impact on the perceived financial performance of the companies. The research concluded that management teams of all public listed companies in Palestine want to adopt the computerized accounting information systems to improve their financial performance. This survey result hopefully will enlighten management of Palestinian companies about the need to develop computerized accounting information systems to grow their financial performance. Future studies should focus on different variables and come up with new model.
- Abdirahman, A. H. (2018). Computerized Accounting Systems and Quality of Financial Reports of Selected Commercial banks in Hargeisa, Somaliland (Doctoral Dissertation, Kampala International University, College of Economics and Management).
- Al-Dalaien, b. O. A., & Khan, N. A. (2018). Effect of Accounting Information System on Financial Performance: A Study of Selected Real Estate Companies in Jordan, 5(1), 41-50.
- Al-Kurdi, Manal and Al-abed, Jalal (2002). Introduction to Managerial Information Systems. Alexandria. University House.
- Al-Najjar, F. (2005). Management Information, Amman. Hammed Publishing House.
- Appiah, K. O., Agyemang, F., Agyei, Y. F. R., Nketiah, S., & Mensah, B. J. (2014). Computerized Accounting Information Systems: Lessons in State-Owned Enterprise in Developing Economies. Journal of Finance and Management in Public Services, 12(1).
- Boras, A. (2007). Electronic Banking Operations. The Journal of Humanity Science. University of Mohamed, Khider Biskra, No. (11), Algeria.
- Boulianne, E. (2007). Revisiting Fit Between AIS Design and Performance with the Analyzer Strategic-Type. International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, 8(1), 1-16.
- Dalci, I., & Tanis, V. (2009). Benefits of Computerized Accounting Information Systems on the JIT Production Systems. Review of Social, Economic & Business Studies, 2, 45-64.
- Deeban, N. A., Eldahraoi, K. M., & AbdulLatif, N. N. (2005). The Basics of Accounting Information Systems. Alexandria. University House for publication and distribution.
- Esmeray, A. (2016). The Impact of Accounting Information Systems (AIS) on Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence in Turkish Small and Medium Sized Enterprises, International Review of Management and Marketing, 6(2), 233-236.
- Fanning, K., & Grant, R. (2017). Manual vs. Computerized Practice Set: Which Achieves Learning Objectives the Best?. AIS Educator Journal, 12(1), 25-33.
- Gamage, A. S. (2000). Effectiveness of Entreprenership Development Programs in the Creation and Growth of SMEs in Sri Lanka, MSc. Research Paper (unpublished), University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Colombo.
- Harash, E., Al-Timimi, S., & Radhi, A. H. (2014). The Influence of Accounting Information Systems (AIS) on Performance of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Iraq. Journal of Business & Management, 3(4), 48-57.
- Horngren, C. T., Sundem, G. L., Stratton, W. O., Burgstahler, D., & Schatzberg, J. (2002). Introduction to Management Accounting: Chapters 1-19. Prentice Hall.
- Idris, T., & Morsi, J. (2005). Contemporary Marketing. Alexandria. University House.
- Khameis, A. M. (2013). Introduction into Accounting Information System. Dar Hikma. Cairo. Egypt.
- Khan, A. (2017). Impact of accounting information system on the organizational performance: a case study of Procter and Gamble. Star Research: An International Online Journal, Vol. 5, Issue 12, 26-32.
- Lucas Jr, H. C. (1996). The T-form Organization: Using Technology to Design Organizations for the 21st Century. Jossey-Bass Inc., Publishers.
- Mitchell, F., Reid, G. C., & Smith, J. (2000). Information System Development in the Small Firm: The Use of Management Accounting. Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) Publishing.
- Morsi, N. (2005). Modern Information Technologies. Alexandria, the new University House Publishers.
- Naji, F. (2012). The Risk of Using Computerized Accounting Systems and Impact on the Efficiency of Auditing Process in Jordan. Master Thesis. Middle East University MEU. Amman, Jordan.
- Neogy, D. (2014). Evaluation of Efficiency of Accounting Information Systems: A Study on Mobile Telecommunication Companies in Bangladesh, Global Disclosure of Economics & Business, 3(1), 40-55.
- Obeidi, F. (2012). The Risk of Using of Computerized Accounting Information Systems and its Impact on the Efficiency of the Auditing Process in Jordan. Middle East University. Jordan.
- Pirayesh, R., Forouzandeh, M., & Louie, S. I. (2018). Examining the Effect of Computerized Accounting Information System on Managers' Decision Making Process. Revista Publicando, 5(14), 68-82.
- Romney, M., Steinbart, P., Mula, J., McNamara, R., & Tonkin, T. (2012). Accounting Information Systems Australasian Edition. Pearson Higher Education AU.
- Siam, W. Z., & Al-Mohannadi, M. A. (2007). The Contribution of E-Commerce and Modern Communications in Developing Accounting Information Systems in the Jordanian Commercial Banks. studies Administrative Sciences, Scientific Research, 34(1). University of Jordan, Jordan.
- Son, D. D., Marriott, N., & Marriott, P. (2006). Users' Perceptions and Uses of Financial Reports of Small and Medium Companies (SMCs) in Transitional Economies: Qualitative Evidence from Vietnam. Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, 3 (3), 218 – 235.
- Urquía Grande, E., Pérez Estébanez, R., & Muñoz Colomina, C. (2011). The Impact of Accounting Information Systems (AIS) on Performance Measures: Empirical Evidence in Spanish SMEs. The international journal of digital accounting research, 11, 25-43.
- Yahya, Z. H., & Alhubaity, K. M. I. (1990). The Effectiveness of the Information System and Accounting Sector Units Socialist: Case Study. Unpublished Master’s Thesis. Al-Mosul University, Iraq.