IMPACT OF SOCIAL MEDIA ON PUBLIC RELATIONS PRACTICE
- Public Relations,
- Social Media,
- Instant Messaging,
Copyright (c) 2019 IJRDO - Journal of Social Science and Humanities Research (ISSN: 2456-2971)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This study examines the impact of social media on public relations practice, using the staff members of Osun State Broadcasting Corporation (OSBC), Osogbo as its population of study. Survey method of gathering data was adopted for this study by distributing well-developed questionnaire to elicit responses from the respondents, the sample size of which was 108. The findings clearly showed that social media platforms like instant messaging, social bookmarking, photo-sharing, wikis, Facebook, etc. have had a great and significant impact on how public relations practitioners communicate as it makes it possible for people and media organizations to have seamless interactions. In addition, social media has enhanced the achievement of public relations objectives by impacting on public relations knowledge, enhancing relationships with people, sharing information on the latest innovations on the tools and methods of public relations, and also helps in shaping the attitude of those in public relations practice.
- Breakenridge, I. (2009). PR 2.0: New media, new tools, new audiences. Upper Saddle River. NJ: Pearson.
- Briones, R. L., Kuch, B., Liu, B. F. & Jin, Y. (2011), “Keeping up with the Digital Age: How the American Red Cross uses Social Media to Build Relationships”, Public Relations Review, 37(1): 37-43.
- Cardenas, K. A. (2013). Social media use in local government agencies: An implementation guide for public officials. Thesis: California State University. Sacremento.
- Carroll, A. & Buchholtz, A. (2014), Business and Society: Ethics, sustainability, and stakeholder management, Canada: Nelson Education.
- Coombs, W. T. and Holladay, S. J. (2010), PR Strategy and Application: Managing Influence, United States: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Dunbar, R. I., Arnaboldi, V., Conti, M. & Passarella, A. (2015), “The Structure of Online Social Networks Mirrors Those in the Offline World”, Social Networks, 43(5): 39-47.
- Ellison, N. B., Steinfield, C. & Lampe, C. (2007), “The Benefits of Facebook “Friends:” Social Capital and College Students’ Use of Online Social Network Sites”, Journal of Computer‐Mediated Communication, 12(4): 1143-1168.
- Emery L., Philip H. A. and Warren K. Agee (1991) Introduction to Mass Communication. 10th ed. Harper Collins Publishers. New York (p.56-57).
- Eyrich, N., Padman, M. L., & Sweetser, K. D. (2008). PR practitioners' use of social media tools and communication technology. Public Relations Review, 34(4), 412-414.
- Harlow, R. F. (1976). “Buliding a Public Relations Definition." Public Relations Review. 2. no. 49 Winter 19760: 34-41.
- Jefkins, F. (1998). Public Relations. 5th Edition. Great Britain: Bell and Bain Ltd. p.6-7.
- Kaplan, A. M. and Haenlein, M. (2010), “Users of the World, Unite! The Challenges and Opportunities of Social Media”, Business Horizons, 53(1): 59-68.
- Oneya. F. P. (2010). The impact of social media on public relations practice, MA Thesis. University of Nairobi.
- Pavlik, J. (2007). Mapping the consequences of technology on public relations. Retrieved November 30, 2009, from www.institiuteforpr.org.
- Scott, D.M. (2008a). The New Rules of Viral Marketing: How Word-of-Mouse Spreads Your Ideas for Free. An e-book available at http://www.davidmeermanscott.com/products_ebooks.htm
- Weber, L. (2007). Marketing to the Social Web: How Digital Customer Communities Built Your Business. Hoboken. NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Weber, L. (2009). Marketing to the Social Web. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Wright, D., & Hinson, M. (2009). An analysis of the increasing impact of social and other new media on public relations practice. A paper presented to 12th annual International Public Relations Research Conference.
- Wright, D., & Hinson, M. (2009). An updated look at the impact of social media on public relations practice. Public Relations Journal, III(2).
- Wright, D., & Hinson, M. (2009). Examining how public relations practitioners actually are using social media. Public Relations Journal, III(3).
- Yin, R.K. (1994): Case Study Research: Design and Methods, Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Young, R. (2009). Social media: How new forms of communications are changing job search and career management: Be Heard. Newsletter of the Toronto Chapter of the International Association of Business Communicators. January-February.