Introduction of an Effective Method for Separating Conjugating Pairs of Paramecium
- Conjugating pairs,
- Pair separation,
- Iron-dextran particles
Copyright (c) 2019 IJRDO - Journal of Biological Science (ISSN: 2455-7676)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
For the studies on the ciliate conjugation, it is indispensable to prepare a large number of conjugating (mating) pairs. In the last twenty years, we have done some studies on the conjugation of several species of Paramecium, and an effective method for separating mating pairs of Paramecium has been established, which will be introduced here.
- Nanney DL. Experimental ciliatology: an introduction to genetic and developmental analysis in ciliates, Wiley, New York, 1980.
- Wichterman R. The Biology of Paramecium, 2nd ed., Plenum Press, New York and London, 1986.
- Calkins GN and Cull S. W. The conjugation of Paramecium aurelia (caudatum). Arch Protistenk, 1907, 10: 375- 415.
- Yang X and Takahashi M. Disturbance of the determination of germinal and somatic nuclei by heat shock in Paramecium caudatum. J Eukaryot Microbiol, 1999, 46: 49-55.
- Yang X and Takahashi M. Nutrient supply induces germinal nuclear selection in exconjugants of Paramecium caudatum. Pcoc Japan Acad, Ser B, 2000, 76: 87-91.
- Yang X and Takahashi M. Nuclei may anchor at specific locations during nuclear determination in Paramecium caudatum. Europ J Protistol, 2002, 38: 147-153.
- Gao X, Zhang X and Yang X. Morphological apoptotic characteristics of the post-meiotic micronuclei in Paramecium caudatum. Europ J Protistol, 2010, 46(3): 243-250.
- Gao X, Shi X and Yang X. Dynamic behaviour of stationary pronuclei during their positioning in Paramecium caudatum. Europ J Protistol, 2011, 47(3): 235-237.
- Gao X, Yang X, Zhu J, Yuan J, Wang Y and Song M. New details indicated by different stainings during the conjugation of ciliated protozoa Paramecium”,. Zool Res, 2011, 32(6): 651-656.
- Vosskühler C and Tiedtke A. Magnetic separation of phagosomes of defined age from Tetrahymena thermophila. J Eukaryot Microbiol, 1993, 40: 556-562.
- Haremaki T, Sugai T and Takahashi M. The vegetative micronucleus has a critical role in maintenance of cortical structure in Tetrahymena thermophila. Cell Struct Funct, 1995, 20: 239-244.
- Sun X, Wu J, Gao X and Yang X. To enhance the production of magnetic iron-dextran particles by ultrasonic treatment and its applications in ciliate studies. Chn J Zoo, 2010, 45(1): 90-93. (in Chinese with English abstract)
- Gao X, Xu C andYang X. Characterization of meiotic nuclear degeneration in Paramecium tetraurelia. Chn J Zoo, 2011, 46(3): 89-92. (in Chinese with English abstract)
- Gao X, Song Y and Yang X. Nuclear behavior in exconjugants of Paramecium bursaria. IJRDO-Journal Biological Science, 2018, 4(7): 1-5.
- Yang X and Gao X. Introduction of an efficient method for the observation of living Paramecium. IJRDO-Journal of Educational Research, 2018, 3(10): 27-29.
- Wei J, Gao X and Yang X. Introducing a method for separating ciliate conjugating pairs by magnetic iron-dextran particles. Chn J Zoo, 2008, 43(2): 77-80. (in Chinese with English abstract)
- Hiwatashi K. Determination and inheritance of mating types in Paramecium caudatum. Genetics, 1968, 58: 373-386.