Isolation , Partial Characterization of a Flavone From Sudanese Terminalia brownii (Comretaceae) Root and Biological Activity of Ethanol Extract
- Terminalia brownii,
- Antimicrobial Activity,
- Antioxidant activity
Copyright (c) 2019 IJRDO - Journal of Biological Science (ISSN: 2455-7676)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Terminalia brownii is widely used in African system of medicine as a natural remedy for cough, tonsillitis, typhoid, tooth-ache, snake bite and rheumatic pain . Phytochemical screening of Terminalia brownii root revealed the presence of flavonoids , alkaloids,steroids, tannins, terpenes, saponins and coumarins. A flavonoid - compound I- was isolated from the ethanol extract by paper chromatography and its structure was partially characterized via some spectral data ( UV and 1HNMR).In the agar diffusion bioassay,the ethanol extract showed significant activity against Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus. It exhibited moderate activity against Escherichia coli and the yeast Candida albicans . It also showed moderate free radical scavenging capacity against stable DPPH radicals.
- Robinon MR, Zhang X. , The World Medicine Situation (Traditional Medicines: Global Situation, Issues and Challenges) ,2011, Geneva, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Mbwambo ZH, Moshi MJ, Masimba PJ, Kapingu MC, Nondo RS , Antimicrobial activity and brine shrimp toxicity of extracts of Terminalia brownii roots and stem. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine ,2007, 7: 1-5.
- Machumi F, Midiwo JO, Jacob MR, Khan SI, Tekwani BL, Phytochemical, antimicrobial and antiplasmodial investigations of Terminalia brownii. Natural Product Communications,2013, 8: 761-764.
- Khalid HS, El-Kamali HH, Elmanan AA ,Trade of Sudanese natural medicinals and their role in human and wildlife health care. Cropwatch Newsletter .2007,10: 1-15.
- Njagi EN, Wanjau RN, Ngari FW, Gikonyo NK (2014) Herbal materials used in management of oral conditions in Nairobi, Kenya, Journal of Oral Health Community Dentistry,2014, 8(1): 36-42
- Salih E, Fyhrquist P, Hiltunen R, Vuorela H , Antimycobacterial effects of African medicinal plants Terminalia brownii and Terminalia laxiflora. PlantaMedica,2014, 80: 122.
- Kidane B, van Andel T, van der Maesen LJG, Asfaw Z , Use and management of traditional medicinal plants by Maale and Ari ethnic communities in southern Ethiopia. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine,2014, 10: 1.
- Wanja MJ, Kasili S, Patrick K, Mbinda W, Piero NM , Anti- inflammatory properties of methanolic bark extracts of Terminalia brownii in Wistar albino rats , International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research ,2016,8.
- Periasamy P, Alemayehu Y, Tarekegn W, Sintayehu B, Gebrelibanos M, Evaluation of in Vivo Central Analgesic Activity and Preliminary Phytochemical Screening of Methanolic Extract of Terminalia brownii Leaves, International Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences,2015, 5: 49-53.
- Kareru PG, Keriko JM, Gachanja AN, Kenji GM , Direct Detection of Triterpenoid Saponins in Medicinal Plants. African Journal of Tradition, Complementary and Alternative Medicines,2008, 5: 56-60.
- Machumi F, Midiwo JO, Jacob MR, Khan SI, Tekwani BL, Phytochemical, antimicrobial and antiplasmodial investigations of Terminalia brownii. Nat Prod Commun,2013, 8: 761-764.
- Opiyo S, Manguro L, Owuor P, Ochieng C, Ateka E, Antimicrobial compounds from Terminalia brownii against sweet potato pathogens , Nat Prod J. ,2011, 1: 116-120.
- Jane,W., Sichangi,K., Wilton,M., Patrick,D., Ngugi,M., Journal of Pharmacology and Natural Products, ,2016,2(3),121.
- Jane,W., Sichangi,K., rnal of Patrick,D., Michael ,N., Mathew,W. and Wilton,M., Journal of Pain and Relief,2016,5(5),261.