Long PCR products and PCR kits
To amplify a DNA segment of 5 000 base pairs (5 kb) from genomic DNA of Chinese toad (Bufo gargarizans), several polymerase chain reactions (PCR) were carried out using 4 different PCR kits (Taq kit, PrimeSTAR MAX kit, LA Taq kit and LA Taq with GC Buffer kit), 3 different concentrations of genomic DNA from two individuals as templates (1 mg/ml, 0.1 mg/ml, 0.01 mg/ml), and a pair of specific primers. The results showed that PrimeSTAR MAX kit made the successful amplification from the second individual with the template concentrations of 0.1 mg/ml and 0.01 mg/ml, but not 1 mg/ml. In case of LA Taq kit, PCR products were detected from both individuals with templates of 1 mg/ml and 0.1 mg/ml, but not 0.01 mg/ml. However, neither Taq kit nor LA Taq with GC Buffer kit made PCR product no matter template concentrations and individuals. These results indicated the effects of PCR kit and template concentration on long PCR products, which give us suggestions to choose suitable PCR kits and adjustment of template concentrations when there is no amplification of long DNA segment.
2. Romsos EL, Vallone PM. Rapid PCR of STR markers: Applications to human identification. Forensic Science International: Genetics. 2015, 18: 90-99.
3. Song KY, Hwang HJ, Kim JH. Data for the optimization of conditions for meat species identification using ultra-fast multiplex direct-convection PCR. Data in Brief. 2017, 16: 15-18.
4. Roux KH. Optimization and troubleshooting in PCR. Cold Spring Harbor Protocols. 2009, 4(4): 1-6.
5. Butts EL, Vallone PM. Rapid PCR protocols for forensic DNA typing on six thermal cycling platforms. Electrophoresis. 2014, 35(21-22): 3053-3061.
6. Ghaffari S, Hasnaoui N. Microsatellite amplification in plants: optimization procedure of major PCR components. Methods of Molecular Biology. 2013, 1006:139-146.
7. Obradovic J, Jurisic V, Tosic N, Mrdjanovic J, Perin B, Pavlovic S, Djordjevic N. Optimization of PCR conditions for amplification of GC-Rich EGFR promoter sequence. Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis. 2013, 27(6): 487-493.
8. Dhatterwal P, Mehrotra S, Mehrotra R. Optimization of PCR conditions for amplifying an AT-rich amino acid transporter promoter sequence with high number of tandem repeats from Arabidopsis thaliana. BMC Research Notes. 2017, 10(1): 638.
9. Zhang X, Zhao L, Ma J, Liu J, Shi W, Hua K3, Wang Y, Yang X. The effects of PCR kits indicated during gene amplification of Panthera tigris amoyensis. IJRDO-Journal of Agriculture and Research 2018, 4(10): 30-34.
10. Sambrook J, Fritsch E, Maniatis T. 1989. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd Edition, Cold Spring Harbor Press, NY. ppE.3-E.4.
11. Chua EW, Miller AL, Kennedy MA. Choice of PCR microtube can impact on the success of long-range PCRs. Analitical Biochemistry 2015, 477:115-117.
12. Chua EW, Maggo S, Kennedy MA. Long fragment polymerase chain reaction. Methods in Molecular Biology. 2017, 1620:65-74.
Copyright (c) 2019 IJRDO - Journal of Agriculture and Research (ISSN: 2455-7668)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Author(s) and co-author(s) jointly and severally represent and warrant that the Article is original with the author(s) and does not infringe any copyright or violate any other right of any third parties, and that the Article has not been published elsewhere. Author(s) agree to the terms that the IJRDO Journal will have the full right to remove the published article on any misconduct found in the published article.